Friday, September 19, 2008

OutWeek Online

I have been meaning to post about this for weeks, but we were so caught up in the convention. OutWeek Magazine, the influential publication where I was features editor and columnist -- and where I wrote my columns that kicked off the "outing" debates -- is now online, in full.

The magazine, which only published for two years, from 1989 to 1991, has actually never been available online and few libraries have the entire collection of issues. And yet, as the site notes, OutWeek "was the seminal lesbian and gay publication during the peak era of AIDS activism in the late 80s and early 90s."

Founding editor-in-chief Gabriel Rotello, with the help of The Gill Foundation, Larry Kramer and others, put the entire collection online -- every page, including all the ads -- where libraries can now link into it and students and others interested in LGBT history can access it. And all of you who are interested in reading my "Gossip Watch" columns from the time -- complete with my trademarks ALL-CAPS rants -- can check it out as well.