Saturday, January 23, 2010

Saturday Back Talk

Listener survey comments I read on the show this week. If you're a listener to the show and haven't taken the survey, please do so by scrolling down on the right and clicking through. Thanks!



Albany, NY (XM)
I discovered you while watching the documentary Outrage. I agree with your recent comments about GLAAD's failure to nominate this great documentary about the hypocrisy of closeted politicians who vote against our rights. I appreciate your thoughtful and insightful analysis of current issues affecting LGBT people. Thanks for keeping us informed about the stories and issues that are not reported in mainstream media.

Riviera Beach, FL (Sirius)

loved Bruno, when i started reading about glaad yesterday...it came back to me that they didn't like it for absurd reasons. its an honest piece of art that promotes gay issues and exposes silly stereotypes. i don't feel it reinforces anything negative. that movie is a healthy and fun portrayal of a gay character. fuck GLAAD, they suck. they are so vanilla and are destructive to gay culture. I'm sickened by them. i hope Michelangelo attacks them regularly until they die or change.

Miami, FL (Sirius)
I am so disappointed that I am not able to call today. I tried calling on the cell phone and home phone. I wanted to comment about the New Times article about South Beach and want to send a link of Steve Rothaus' (Miami Herald LGBT reporter) response to the article. The article was poorly written and the source of the info is a washed up Boston drag queen. There were four document cases of Gay violence in Miami-Dade County last year, 3 or 75% were in South Beach. The example she cited was of a man who left a bar at 4:30 am...Oh well!

Orlando FL, (Sirius)
To be truthful, the constant Obama bashing is getting quite tiresome and I've shut the show off a lot lately because the tone is so negative about what the president is or isn't doing in only his first year in office. We will likely suffer through another Republican debacle (like the previous 8 years) when they are returned to power due to the constant tearing down of Barack Obama everyday on shows like yours. I'm a liberal-leaning moderate and will never understand why the strict liberals (like Signorile) do not ever GET IT that successful governing is most times from the middle...allowing for modest strides in rights. The liberals very much appear grumpy and unsatisfied (even with Obama in the White House) so it's clear this dissatisfaction will succeed in eroding Obama's base and we'll have not had any opportunity to see any real change. Shame on people like Signorile who will constantly 'fight the good fight' but fail to understand how to exercise patience or execute a plan that talks about future positive steps, instead of complaining that change is not happening in a suitable time frame for the liberals.

Austin, TX (Sirius)

I love your show and I have learned a lot. I have become much more politically involved with LGBT issues. In the past, I was apolitical but now I have become the "go to" person with my friends on political issues. The only thing I don't like is the way you say "huge" and "human". Do you mispronounce Rush Limbaugh on purpose? I can't stand him but when I hear you pronounce his name, I cringe. That's all; love your show.

St. Louis, MO (XM)
I enjoy listening to all sides of a topic and just because I am a gay person doesn't automatically mean Democrat. Listening to the shows on the gay channel I consider for entertainment purposes only. And there is NOTHING wrong with that! : )

Milton, FL (Sirius)
I enjoy the show most when you cover issues being ignored by the mainstream media - ie. outing of closeted politicians. Your monologues are enjoyable as well, but I most enjoy listening to callers. Especially when you talk to folks who do not agree with your viewpoint. Sometimes it can be like arguing about religion (they'll never come over to your side), but it's fun to listen to anyway.

Manchester, CT (Sirius)
I like the show, but sometimes a point is belabored for so long that I have the change the station...and when I return 5 or 10 minutes later, the SAME THING is being discussed. The thing about the boy who refused to do the pledge to the flag went on for days. B-OR-I-N-G.

Souix Falls, SD (XM)

I love this show...invokes thought!

Medford, OR (Sirius)

Love the show. We use to live in WeHo and know we live in a much smaller town and just love the quality of the show.

Ocala, FL (Sirius)
I think you should ask if your listeners are in a relationship and how long.

Toronto, ON Canada (XM)
I am disappointed in the lack of issues from Canada, however as I reflect on what those issues would be, there are not a lot. It also makes us appreciate everything that we have & take for granted that our human rights have been respected while government of all stripes south of us continually try to repress what are basic human rights & respect. Keep up the great work Mike!!

Portland ME (XM)

I was listening to the discussion about sexual harassment the other afternoon and have a completely different take on the discussion. I wish I had called in but didn't get the chance. I was unjustly accused of sexual harassment 4 years ago and it put my life into hell for a year and a half. I quit the job I was planning on retiring from, it ended up costing me $5K in legal fees defending myself, my professional license and my reputation. As it turns out I now have a better job and and stronger but my cynical in my outlook. I have lost a lot of my sense of trust that if you do the right thing you have nothing to worry about. Love the show, thanks for fighting the good fight.

Mermann MO, (XM)
I've had issues with you and the show in the past. However, I find myself compelled to listen and the more I do, the more I appreciate your show. I won't call in anymore because when I have in the past I've always felt like I was dismissed and unappreciated. That's probably because I stutter and am from a very small town and have a southern accent. Never-the-less, your show has grown on me and I listen just about every day. I don't always agree with you, nor do I always like how you handle yourself, but do know that I am most appreciative of what you all do and I am so pleased that you all provide interesting and important insight into LGBT issues as well as other interesting news items. I've been pissed off with you in the past - not so much because of your views, but because of the way you state them. I think it must be a cultural thing and I'm getting over that.

San Dimas, CA (XM)
We enjoy you enormously and are always impressed at your unflappability and even temper when faced with the vilest contrarian. Congratulations.

Austin, TX (Sirius)
I love your show and I have learned a lot. I have become much more politically involved with LGBT issues. In the past, I was apolitical but now I have become the "go to" person with my friends on political issues. The only thing I don't like is the way you say "huge" and "human". Do you mispronounce Rush Limbaugh on purpose? I can't stand him but when I hear you pronounce his name, I cringe. That's all. love your show.