Sunday, September 05, 2010

Weekend Back Talk

Here are some of the listener survey comments from last week which I read on the show. If you're a listener to the show and haven't taken the survey please do so by scrolling down and clicking through on the right. Thanks!


Kansas City, MO (XM)
I used to enjoy your show, but since you have taken up the cause for the NY mosque, I've lost a lot of respect for you. It isn't as cut and dried as you make it out to be. It's turned into a pro Islamic rant fest. Also, just because one is gay doesn't mean they agree with you on this issue. Move on to things relevant to the gay community!

Colorado Springs, CO (Sirius)
I started listening in the months leading to the last election. Almost immediately, I knew this was a different radio talk show. Michelangelo definitely welcomes differing viewpoints and opinions. Equal time (sometimes more than equal) is given to the guests/callers who disagree. I honestly don't have any complaints about the show – at least no complaints about things over which you have control. I'm referring to the recent callers against the Islamic Center near ground zero who really don't have a valid argument. It's been said before, but I agree that you truly do have the patience of a saint to listen to them parrot the same tired talking points and still keep your cool. Keep up the good work.

Orlando, FL (XM)
It's time to stop complaining about what Obama has NOT done, and start cheering about what he has. As a gay "leader", stop contributing to the enthusiasm gap!

Arlington, TX (Sirius)

I've been listening to your show for about 4 years and really enjoy it. I don't know how you are able to keep your cool with some of the idiots that call in. I'm a cross country truck driver and I experience the prejudice of the closed minds and bigots all over the country. I'm not a flamboyant queen, but I don't hide it either. I do get looks and stares and sometimes comments all the time. I find it best to ignore the closed minds most of the time.

Glastonbury, CT (Sirius)
I tell everyone I know to listen to Michelangelo before deciding anything. His opinions are always underpinned by a keen sense of right vs. wrong and articulated with a passionate clarity that is so persuasive, one finds oneself being pulled along, nodding in agreement. Thank you, Michelangelo.

Indianapolis, IN (Sirius)

OMG you are gonna caused your own city to get blown up! i love your show but please! arent you OUT Q RAdio GAY RADIO? i blame you and the other media for the violence happening around and to the Muslum Center! My God the Media will Not let it go away!!! quit talking about it and the violence will go away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Marion, MA (Sirius)
I love it when you patiently yet powerfully engage opposition voices on the radio. Your interview with WorldNetDaily's Joseph Farah was a model of restraint and illumination. By the way, I called in recently, attempting to explain that those who assert Obama is a Muslim are bearing false witness. Isn't bearing false witness a sin for self-professed Christians? Unfortunately, I stumbled in my explanation and got cut off as a result. Just wanted to correct the record.

Evanston, IL (Sirius)
Michael I hate to say this but I think you are the weakness part of OutQ. The rest of the shows on OutQ actually care about their listeners and try to bring topics of interest that their listeners are interested in. You on the other hand expect your listeners to be interested in only the things you are interested in and if they don't have the exact opinion that you have you put them down. You need to get over yourself and make the focus about your listeners and not just about yourself.

Potosi, MO (XM)
I love the show. Since I have started listening I have begun to pay more attention to the news and news that affects the gay community. Also I am wanting to get more involved in supporting gay rights.

Dallas, TX (XM)
ENOUGH of Ken Mehlman. Seriously? Three days of wall-to-wall Mehlman? There's NOTHING else in the world going on?

Hayward, CA (XM)
This is my personal way to show my appreciation by taking your listener survey. I enjoy your show and I will admit that I have wanted to call you off and on in the last 2 years that I have listened but didn't have the nerve!....and I am gay! Your show topics have opened a dialogue between me and my partner Chris, on those timely topics that not only affect gay life but within our society in general. You are one handsome, intelligent young man, thank-you for all that you do for our community.

Doylstown, PA (Sirius)
Often when your read these comments on the air, many listeners protest your "passion" which some view as "aggression" to the callers -- however, some may lose sight that this is your show. In turn, you dutifully poll your audience on these observations. However, if there is any assessment, from someone who appreciates your no-nonsense handling of the uneducated, misinformed, or confused, it's this: the power of your convictions may cause some bright, yet, timid, individuals who have excellent contributions to hold back from calling. I have learned as a diversity and inclusion trainer that these voices often provide some of the best fodder for discussion.