Saturday, September 27, 2008

Listener Survey Comments

This week on the show I read listener survey comments on two different days, largely because we got very distracted the first time, after I only read a few. I took a call -- since I do ask people to call in and tell us what they think of the comments -- from Karen in Arizona, who some of you will remember went on a total rant after responding to one of the comments; she was a Hillary Clinton supporter who just will not support Obama. Oh, she was priceless. I will to put the video up of that call.

Anyway, the phones started ringing with people responding to her and, well, the program ended and we never finished reading the comments. So then I read some more comments later in the week, and there were several about Karen's call (but in one of them below, the listener seems to think her name is Rachel). Anyway, below are some of the listener survey comments I read on the show this week, edited for space, posted per most Saturdays. Let me know your thoughts, and please take the survey if you are listener to the show and haven't taken it.

----

I was totally into Michelangelo both at the Democratic and Republican National Conventions. He really inspired me to share what has been going on in the world of politics with family and friends. My entire family are Conservative, Right-Wing Republicans, so now I feel equiped to handle them when politics come up! The only thing I am not liking about the show, and Michelangelo touched on it the other day, is that long uber-disgusting opening monologue about boils, plucking stuff, infested things, etc. It is the longest run-on sentence I have ever heard in my life. I think you need trumpets and fanfare, or something more upbeat for an opening!

***
First, why do whomever created this survey want to know what alcohol I drink? Second, I love your show and appreciate your passion for politics. You are so well spoken and I admire how take on all these bigoted, narrow minded, homophobic, sheep. Thank you for not letting them get away with anything.

***
Love the show but you talk too much. That said, I love it when you have one of those hate mongers on and you get into a fight.

***
I appreciate that you actually talk, ask questions and are respectful to people with whom you don't agree. Also you have important guests and some sort of an outline and show format or agenda. I can hear it. Thank you. I have always said if we want to be treated the same as others then we shouldn't act differently. .

***
I just recently began listening to the show. Because of the importance of this political season, I'm trying to get all discussion from the left or progressive point of view. For many years we've been deprived of common sense radio. Keep up the good work!

***
Basically you represent an ilk to me that is the reason I consider myself homosexual, not gay. Shade of gray are good, not scary as gays like you see them. We don't all agree, we don't have to. You are repugnant to me on many levels, yet I love to listen and be remined of why I left the "gay" thing and found real comfort in my individuality. It's twisted, but keep up the horrible work. I love changing the channel!

***
I'd love to hear you get into more hard-hitting issues that face our community that doesn't have to do with politics. Even if you could devote an hour a day to something else. I like listening to you, I'm just bored of your freakin' election ... good God, we elect a prime minister in Canada in five weeks. Why does it take the biggest democracy in the world two years to get the job done?

***
The only thing I dont like about the show is thats its only 4 hours long. Many times I find myself at the end of 4 hours thinking "no...dont go now". I wish you were on 8 hours to fill the day. I love the show. The sign of a good talk show host is that he/she can carry the show without relying on taking calls all the time. Keep doing what you're doing. You're the best.

**
Love the show. Only area of change that might be nice is to suggest to MS that he is a touch more gentle with the callers who are not terribly bright. I know they've got to be shuffled off air fast, but sometimes it's done so brusquely that I find myself feeling sorry for the poor inarticulate bastards that occasionally call in. Gentle and fast are a possible combo and one that might be more effective here. Not wimpish - just a touch more kind - after all, they cannot help being born stupid anymore than some of us can help the fact that we were born with IQ's over 130.

***
Last night I heard a debate with a woman named Rachel who was ranting on and on about how she wasn't going to vote for Barack... that Hilary should have been the candidate yada yada. This woman was so ignorant and so obnoxious.... that I almost called into the show to tell Mike to HANG UP ON HER! Just then, he turned it around from a soft listening voice to: "how old are you rachel" "in your 50s? well you act like you're 16. GROW UP." I loved it. I had pulled up to my house and debated whether the get out of the car but instead listened to you give it back to her. She asked "what are you STUPID?"... she was just the absolute WORST. I'm so glad we have people like you who put people like Rachel in their place. Thanks Mike.

***
I heard both exchanges with Karen today and the guy on Monday who didn't like Obama because he was against gay marriage. I do not think you were too tough on either one of them. You challenge people to THINK about what they are saying. I don't see you as attacking them. Rather you challenge people who say stupid things. I really enjoy the show and really enjoy your lively discussion with those who call in.

***
While there are many non-social fiscal issues that we disagree on, we do agree on many social issues, gay rights, healthcare and marriage. I find your show very interesting and appriciate the Coast Centric thoughts and attitudes, although there are times you forget there are people that to not live on a coast. It is wonderful that our community can support all walks of life and attitudes. (Ps. I live in Denver, I hope you had a good time here.)

***
I podcast a lot of talk shows from AirAmerica and Democracy Now and Nova etc. MS show is probably the best out there since Sam Seder left AA. Super smart, informative and way too unacknowledged. I would pay for a podcast, I have friends that would pay for a podcast.

***
I am a 42 year old married, hetero, democrat, female in Kansas (yuk!) and I LOVE listening to you! I can't wait for you to come on each day so that I can hear someone express what I feel. Thanks so much & keep it up!

***
Your show is like a daily meal for my brain, giving it all the mental protein and vegetables it needs. Then I listen to Derek and Romaine for dessert! ;-)