Monday, October 20, 2008

Bid on My Bear!


Meet Rocco 2.

He is a bear I built (at Build A Bear) which I'm auctioning off with all proceeds going to the No on 8 campaign, to fight against the antigay ballot measure in California. (There are more photos of him on Ebay.)

Rocco 2 was made in New York City by me, and he has a birth certificate. Rocco 2 is wearing a Sirius Satellite Radio hat, and has around his neck my official credentials from the 2008 Republican and Democratic conventions. As many of you know, we had broadcast live this year from both conventions, interviewing politicians, activists, newsmakers and crazy wingnuts like Rick Santorum, Sally Kern and Gary Bauer! Rocco 2 also is holding a cell phone, is wearing sunglasses and has two pins on. Both buttons were given to me at the 2004 Democratic National Convention in Boston: one is from a transgender delegate and says, well, "Transgender Delegate"; the other says, "I'm Doing My Part to Piss Off the Religious Right."

We did something similar a few years back, benefiting the Mathew Shepard Foundation, asking listeners to bid on Rocco 1, raising some good money for the cause, though that auction lasted for ten days. (Rocco 1 had my credentials from the 2004 conventions on.) With limited time left in the campaign and money needed, we're keeping this auction to 7 days; it ends next Sunday night. But let's do the best we can No on 8 and find Rocco 2 a home. I will be talking about him on the show every day urging people to go to ebay and bid, and of course posting on the blog all week reminding you about the auction.

UPDATE: Pam Spaulding is also holding on online fundraiser for No on 8 on her site today. Go check on 8 Against 8 and do what you can.