Sunday, October 18, 2009

Great to Meet A lot of You

We had a a really fun meet-up at the National Equality March last weekend for listeners to the show. On the show I've thanked those of you who turned out, but hadn't had a chance to write about it here. I was blown away by the number of people who came to the Helix Hotel Lounge last Saturday night, scores and scores of people who just kept coming well after the event was officially over. The hotel was terrific to all of us from Sirius XM OutQ throughout our stay. And that night they let us host the meet-up for Frank Decaro Show listeners and Signorile Show listeners, and let it just keep going, and I want to thank them for it.

I didn't know what to expect, but I got a hint it would be big when: 1) my phone rang at midnight the night before, with the desk telling me there were "some gentleman" here to meet me (I told the desk the meet-up was the next night, and no, I wasn't meeting anyone at midnight!); 2) I met two guys in the lobby who came to the hotel earlier on Saturday, just after I'd come off MSNBC, to scope out for the meet-up that night and; 3) when a woman called me at the hotel shortly after that, frantically wanting to know if if indeed the meet-up was that night and what time it started.
When I came downstairs at shortly after 6 p.m., however, I wasn't prepared for what I saw. The event started at 6, and it was already packed in the lounge with a huge line for drinks. The crowd was spilling into the hotel lobby, where Frank DeCaro was surrounded by people snapping pics. I then joined him and, well, it took about an hour to actually get into the lounge, because I was stopping every foot or so and talking with so many of listeners. It was great to put names to faces of so many of our brilliant and always inspiring callers, like Tori in Washington, Jay in New Haven and Mark in Fort Lauderdale. But really, there are so many more and I'm sorry I can't name them all here.
The listeners who came were of every age group and ran the gamut -- gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender. And people were there from all of the country, from New Hampshire and Maine to Texas and Florida and California. I was really touched by the things so many said about the show, what the show means to them. I really again want to thank you all for making the show what it is. It's great for me only because we have such smart and plugged-in listeners.