Sunday, July 13, 2008

McCain: "I am learning how to get online"

In an interview with The New York Times John McCain today says children need two parents, so he is opposed to allowing gays to adopt. He obviously is clueless to the fact that most gay people who have kids are in two-parent households -- the two parents just happen to be of the same gender:

Mr. McCain, who with his wife, Cindy, has an adopted daughter, said flatly that he opposed allowing gay couples to adopt. “I think that we’ve proven that both parents are important in the success of a family so, no, I don’t believe in gay adoption,” he said.

Of course, what he means is two opposite gender, heterosexual parents -- even if the children grown in broken homes, like his own did, after he left his first wife Carole when she got to fat, and settled with younger, blonder, richer Cindy. (Oh yes, the santity of marriage). But you wonder if this guy really is just placating the religious right or has never really been exposed to gay families because he is just so damned out of touch. The article further elaborates on his aides having admitted a few weeks ago that McCain was "aware" of the Internet though didn't seem to go anywhere near it:

He said, ruefully, that he had not mastered how to use the Internet and relied on his wife and aides like Mark Salter, a senior adviser, and Brooke Buchanan, his press secretary, to get him online to read newspapers (though he prefers reading those the old-fashioned way) and political Web sites and blogs.

“They go on for me,” he said. “I am learning to get online myself, and I will have that down fairly soon, getting on myself. I don’t expect to be a great communicator, I don’t expect to set up my own blog, but I am becoming computer literate to the point where I can get the information that I need.”

Asked which blogs he read, he said: “Brooke and Mark show me Drudge, obviously. Everybody watches, for better or for worse, Drudge. Sometimes I look at Politico. Sometimes RealPolitics.”

At that point, Mrs. McCain, who had been intensely engaged with her BlackBerry, looked up and chastised her husband. “Meghan’s blog!” she said, reminding him of their daughter’s blog on his campaign Web site. “Meghan’s blog,” he said sheepishly.

As he answered questions, sipping a cup of coffee with his tie tight around his neck, his aides stared down at their BlackBerries.

As they tapped, Mr. McCain said he did not use a BlackBerry, though he regularly reads messages on those of his aides. “I don’t e-mail, I’ve never felt the particular need to e-mail,” Mr. McCain said.


"Learning how to get online." Is this really complicated, I mean, beyond the password verification, and logging on? Do we want John McCain having access to technology that launches nuclear warheads?